Promoting Humanism in South West Hertfordshire
Buy at Humanism
Interested in joining the BHA?
- Protect the rights of the non-religious in education, says British Institute of Human Rights September 24, 2016
- Former deputy chair of NI education committee says teaching evolution ‘corrupts children’ September 23, 2016
- UK must honour equality and human rights obligations, NSS tells UN September 22, 2016
- Don’t wear red clothes or short skirts, ultra-orthodox rabbi tells Jewish women September 22, 2016
- Nearly a third of French Muslims prefer sharia to secular law, research finds September 20, 2016
- Articles (20)
- Lawrence Krauss to deliver Darwin Day Lecture 2017 in London September 23, 2016
- BHA and civil society groups call on UK Governments to improve human rights for non-religious people September 23, 2016
- Government approves yet more religious free schools just days after faith school admissions announcement September 23, 2016
- ‘Current laws make vital services only accessible to the wealthy’: BHA and BPAS advocate for rights of Irish women and girls at the UN Human Rights Council September 21, 2016
- ‘Unacceptable and illegal’: humanists condemn human rights violations committed against refugees and migrants in Hungary September 21, 2016
6th June 2016
We usually meet on the first Saturday of each month at 11.00 a.m. at Reason Coffee Shop & Bookstore, 116 The Parade, Watford High Street.
If you click-on the Facebook logo on this page, you will go to the Watford Humanists Facebook site, where you can register to receive regular updates on our monthly meetings, as well as occasional public meetings and social events.
Latest News feed on this page is working if you seek up-to-date information from the BHA.
Email email@example.com with any other queries or enquiries.
31st January 2016
We will discuss the subject of a humanist approach to homelessness at our regular monthly meeting, held at 11.00 a.m. on Saturday 6th February 2016 at Reason Coffee Shop & Bookstore, 116 The Parade, Watford High Street.
Please visit and read http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/A-humanist-approach-to-homelessness-11120149 before attending the meeting.
12th December 2015
Watford Area Humanists meets on the first Saturday of each month at 11.00 a.m. at Reason Coffee Shop & Book Store, 116 The Parade, Watford High Street, WD17 1BD.
This means that the next regular monthly meeting will be on Saturday 2nd January 2016. Free admission
A special public meeting will be held at the same venue at 7.15 p.m. on Tuesday 12th January 2016, when Mike Lawrence will answer the question “Did Jesus Actually Exist?” £5.00 admission includes tea/coffee.
25th November 2015
There are a number of interesting developments which we will report on at our next Watford Area Humanists meeting at 11.00 a.m. on Saturday 5th December 2015 at Reason Coffee Shop & Book Store, 116 The Parade, Watford High Street, WD17 1BD.
John Dowdle will report back on wreath-laying on Remembrance Sunday.
Mark Torrender will report on arrangements for setting up a new group called Beyond Belief, which will act as a self-help group for those people who wish to leave religion behind in their lives.
Steve Walker will be discussing setting up a group called St Albans Humanist Working Group, which will act as a local think-tank for the development of humanist thinking, philosophy and actions at the local level.
Steve may also organise a Sunday Lunch event in the St Albans area between now and Xmas. Can you let us know if this is of interest to you? It will also provide a useful opportunity to talk over development of the St Albans-based humanist working group.
John Dowdle will also discuss arrangements for holding a series of learning sessions over a 6-week period on Humanism: A Short Course, which we hope will attract existing and new members to participate in developing their understanding of humanism.
It is expected that the weekly learning sessions will start at 7.30 p.m. on Wednesday, 6th January 2016 at Reason Coffee Shop & Book Store (address above). It would be useful for planning purposes if interested participants will let John Dowdle know that they will be participating in the course by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A note for your 2016 diary is a public meeting at 7.15 p.m. at Reason Coffee Shop & Book Store on Tuesday, 12th January 2016, at which Mike Lawrence will talk on the subject of “Did Jesus Actually Exist?” for those wanting to forget the consumer-driven Xmas frenzy.
I hope to see you all on Saturday 5th December when we can lift our coffee cups in tribute to our achievements of 2015.
With best wishes,
John Dowdle FRSA
Watford Area Humanists
25th October 2015
At the November 7th monthly meeting – held on the first Saturday of each month at 11.00 a.m. at Reason Coffee Shop & Bookstore, 116 The Parade, Watford, WD17 1BD – we will discuss the possibility of establishing a self-help group for those seeking like-minded people wanting to recover from religious beliefs and other irrational thinking. We will also hear from recovering religionists and arrange for a course on humanism to be held from January 2016.